Friday, July 10, 2009

Basketball Mecca

As I was walking to class today, I looked up through the trees and saw the words "Allen Field House." I realized that I am a lucky person. How many people can say they get to go to class across the street from Allen Field House everyday? What an impressive place: Allen Field House. Think about all of the people who have played there: Wilt Chamberlin, Jacque Vaughn, Mario Chalmers, just to name a few...

Then, I think about the dodo birds in my class. These athletes (some soccer, women's basketball, football, men's basketball, etc.) sooooo fit the athlete stereotype. Okay, maybe just a few of them. The first day of class these clowns (mainly football players) show up with no pen or paper. I mean, come on, I am paying for you to go to school, the least you could do is go buy some supplies. Also, one particular men's basketball player (I won't name names) shows up late to class almost everyday. One guy came to class on the second day because he didn't know class started the day before. Another guy told him that he is 18 years old, needs to take responsibility for himself, and shouldn't have to be told when to go to class (one of their advisors called him to tell him to go to class!!). I was glad the guy gave him this lecture although I'm sure it won't help. Do these people ever grow up or do we just continue to pay for their stupidity forever???!!!

Anyway, you are probably wondering why I am in class with these undergrad clowns. Well, I decided to take an HSES (Health, Sport, and Exercise Science) class for an elective and it is undergrad and grad mixed. Of course, all of the athletes are HSES majors because it is easy is all they know how to do. I enjoy the content of the class (sports psychology), so I guess I will put up with the dodo birds.

3 comments:

  1. LOL dodo birds!! I love it. I bet any kind of psych would be interesting, and I bet a good topic for conversation in there would be the McNair situation now, and what Eddie George had to say about him. Did you catch any of that interview and discussion on what professional athletes endure (psychologically) after giving up their profession and what kind of mental toll it takes? Good discussion for your class, or paper topic if you need one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a little rough on these athletes aren't you? Some of them will go on to make millions. Some people have brains and some have other talents and some are just dodo's!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Yes mom, but they need a little common sense too. I guess nobody can teach that though!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!